Do you ever notice how much our culture focuses on doing? We focus on accomplishing goals and once one goal is accomplished, we move on to the next one. We measure our success by how much we’ve done and how far we have come. Don’t get me wrong. Taking action in our business and moving forward is critical to our success.
Lately, though, I’ve been contemplating these questions in my own business: “Who am I bringing to my business? Am I acting in a way that is aligned with my core values and what is important to me? Am I being true to myself in my words and actions?”
Ultimately, your clients hire you because of who you are, how you deliver your services and the values and qualities you possess while you are delivering them. Yes, what you deliver is important, but the experience of working with you is often what brings people back every single time.
The same goes for the talks, workshops, webinars and on-line courses you deliver. The information you deliver is valuable but the audience’s experience of you is what they will remember. That’s why two people can have the same workshop topic and the same marketing copy but each attendee’s experience will be completely different based on who they most resonate with.
Are you producing the kind of results you want in your talks, workshops or webinars? Is your business where you’d like it to be? If not, who would you need to “be” to produce those results? When you focus on your way of “being” first (e.g. Focused, Patient, Open, Driven, Authentic…) the results will come much faster and it will also take less effort.
If you are producing the results you would like, how often do you acknowledge yourself before moving on to the next task? There is something super powerful about gratitude. It’s not just a fad. It can seriously move you from great to amazing!
If you are up for joining me, I invite you to take on this 2-minute daily exercise. After a few weeks, you may just feel a shift in your business and what you attract as a result:
- Each morning, as you start your day, ask yourself, “Who would I need to be to create the results I want today?” Take on practicing that way of being and see what transpires.
- At the end of each day, take 2 minutes to answer this question: “What is one way of being I want to acknowledge in myself today? (Repeat this until you come up with 5 unique ways of being). For example:
- Today, I acknowledge myself for the patience I had when a client wanted to change part of a contract with them.
- Today, I acknowledge myself for being flexible when my client needed another day to finish her deliverable to me.
- Today, I acknowledge myself for staying focused when so often, I wanted to check my email or FB.
- Today, I acknowledge myself for staying present when my brother called to catch up.
- Today, I acknowledge myself for honoring my body by taking time to walk at lunch.
Do this exercise every morning and evening for 1 week and see if you feel any shifts in yourself and your business. After 2 weeks, what do you notice?
Let’s stop being human “doing” machines and start being Human Beings!
Let me know how it goes after you try this exercise. Post your experiences here! And, of course, I always love to hear your comments, thoughts and ideas.
Together we can change the world one workshop and webinar at a time!